How whole body vibration (WBV) helps you lose weight:
- WBV is an intense workout (see earlier post Increase Explosive Muscle Strength, April 4, 2012) and like any workout this will increase your metabolic rate so you burn more calories and lose weight more easily - but the time required to achieve the same results is much less. Ten minutes of WBV = one hour of conventional weight training.
- WBV raises serotonin levels in your brain, a powerful antidepressant effect (see post Powerful Antidepressant! April 12, 2012). With your mental state happier and calmer it is much easier for you to eat properly and exercise. Everybody knows what they should do to lose weight, the problem is actually doing it. WBV helps you be in that calm and relaxed, but energized mental state where you can achieve your goals.
- WBV gives you strength (increased muscle power) and energy (future blog post). So when you do go out to exercise, now more often, you will work harder, burning more calories.
- WBV lowers cortisol levels. Cortisol is a major stress and aging hormone that promotes fat production and storage.
- Research conducted at Sanaderm health clinic in Germany on the effects of vibration enhanced exercise training for cellulite reduction and fat loss demonstrated that six months of training a maximum of 11 minutes on the vibration platform reduced cellulite by 25.68 %. In addition when Vibration was combine with aerobic activity for 40 minutes they experienced a 32 % reduction cellulite. (Sanaderm Health Clinic Germany)
- Another study evaluated the effect of vibration training in comparison to traditional training methods over a period of 6 weeks. Body fat % was reduced by 11.2 % compared to 10.6% in the traditional training group. Body fat reduction was greater in the vibration group and the total exercise time considerably less. (Pneumex and S.Sordorff.PT, Sandpoint Idaho)
- A study evaluating the effects of vibration training on weight loss: In this study the vibration training group had a net increase of 12 % in their resting metabolic rate after 3 months. Consequently, WBV can allow one to burn more calories compared to non-active individuals. (Slim & Shape Centers Inc., Windsor Canada)
How to get the best results:
- Gradually build up to 10-30 minutes (depending on which model you are using) of exercises.
- Start slow – probably with just one minute. Too much, too soon can lead to detox overload (future blog post) which could end up causing you to temporarily gain weight instead of losing weight! Why? WBV is a powerful detox and too much too soon can stress your body and cause a temporary flare up of Candida Albicans yeast in your gut. This can cause bloating and water retention (see Candida Yeast Appendix). Additional unhelpful effects often caused by yeast include depression and sugar cravings.
- To be evaluated for issues like Candida yeast and hormonal imbalances that can make it hard to lose weight contact naturopath Becca Chambers. She will assess your health status and design a personalized holistic approach including nutrition, nutritional supplements and homeopathy in addition to WBV.